National Society of Black Engineers Pre-College Initiative
February 22-25, 2018
DEADLINE TO APPLY FEBRUARY 3RD
Explore a rewarding and challenging career and see how other young men and women are changing the world.
NSBE Pre-College Initiative (PCI) is an on-campus visit program for African-American Freshman, Sophomore, Juniors, and Seniors that may be considering a future career in math, science, computing or engineering. PCI is sponsored by S&T's student chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers and the Student Diversity Initiatives Department. Through information sessions and hands-on workshops students will have a chance to explore career options and gain a better understanding of what college life is all about.
Due to limited space only the first 30 students to register will be able to attend. This event is free to attend! Once you have registered online please send a $50 refundable deposit to hold your registration. Funds will be returned following the completion of the program. Fee payable by money order or check to Student Diversity Initiatives, 605 W 11th Street, Rolla, MO 65409, along with your completed forms:
If payment is not received within two weeks, your registration will be removed. Registrations will be accepted until event reaches capacity or February 3rd, whichever occurs first.
Bus from Kansas City:
Bus from Saint Louis:
What to bring:
- Casual clothes, gym shorts for activities and a “business casual” outfit for the social
- Toiletries and personal items
- Room in your bag for free stuff!
- Sleeping bag/pillows (lock-in type event)
A vital component of the PCI program is NSBE Jr. which serves as the membership category for pre-college students within the society. NSBE Jr. members and chapters are at the core of PCI, as they are the primary focus and beneficiaries of PCI activities. NSBE Jr. focuses on enhancing the education received by African-American and other minority pre-college students, as well as influencing these students to become tomorrow’s corporate executives, entrepreneurs, and leaders. In this spirit, NSBE Jr. is the quintessential teaching and preparation device for the National Society of Black Engineers.
PCI Goal: The National Society of Black Engineers' Pre-College Initiative program will lead the world in enhancing the pre-college students' Academic, Technical and Leadership skills in order to maximize their success in life. NSBE Jr. Aims:
- Help pre-college students develop a positive attitude towards academic excellence
- Encourage and support parental commitment to their children's education
- Stimulate enthusiasm about engineering and science among pre-college students
- Raise cultural awareness among African-American youth
- Provide support to students throughout the college application process
- Increase college graduation rates of African-American students
- Prepare pre-college students to be positive, contributing future NSBE members